Ozzy Osbourne has unreleased songs featuring Taylor Hawkins in the can. Both Ozzy and producer Andrew Watt spoke with Rolling Stone while promoting the new Prisoner Number 9 album. Watt explained that for the album, they enlisted the help of Red Hot Chili Peppers‘ Chat Smith along with Hawkins — with the track “God Only Knows ” featuring both drummers. Watt revealed, “There’s a bunch of other stuff with Ozzy and Taylor, as well, that’s going to be used for another thing.” No word yet on what that project might be or when it might see release.
Ozzy also took time out to address the early-’80s Eddie Van Halen – Randy Rhodes feud: “I heard recently that Eddie said he taught Randy all his licks. . . he never (did). To be honest, Randy didn’t have a nice thing to say about Eddie. Maybe they had a falling out or whatever, but they were rivals.”
- Ozzy Osbourne producer Andrew Watt told Rolling Stone there are more Ozzy – Taylor Hawkins tracks left in the vaults.
- Randy Rhoads, one of the founders of Quiet Riot and a driving force in the original Ozzy Osbourne band in the early-1980’s, died on March 19th, 1982 in a small plane crash at the age of 25.
- Rhoads played on Ozzy’s first two solo albums, 1980’s Blizzard Of Ozz and 1981’s Diary Of A Madman.
- 1987’s Tribute featured live tracks recorded with Rhodes in 1980 and 1981. The album peaked at Number Six on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
- Ozzy Osbourne‘s 13th album, Prisoner Number 9, was released this past September 9th and hit Number Two in the UK.
- Patient Number 9 features guest spots by such legendary players Black Sabbath bandmate Tommy Iommi, the late-Taylor Hawkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, Jeff Beck, Guns N’ Roses‘ Duff McKagan, Zakk Wylde, Pearl Jam‘s Mike McCready, Queens Of The Stone Age‘s Josh Homme, and former Ozzy bassist and current Metallica member Robert Trujillo.