Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford saluted the band’s legion of fans who would not give up until Priest was firmly entrenched into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The band, which has been eligible since 1999, was shortlisted to make the cut last year — but ultimately came up short. Rob Halford told us that the band gaining entry this year in the Musical Excellence Award slot has as much to do with Priest’s musicality as it does their fans’ allegiance and belief in the group: [“I’ve been watching those fan votes ever since the Rock Hall voting began — like I’ve done every time. And it was such a joy to see the consistency of the fans around the world. ‘Cause a lot of people forget that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it is essentially supported with heavy metal maniacs voting for Priest from all around the world. So, to see that, to see those votes; it’s a hell of a lot of people. That’s a lot of fans really wanting this for the band, y’know, really supporting this opportunity for us.”] SOUNDCUE (:32 OC: . . . opportunity for us)
Judas Priest kicks off their 32-date European tour on June 3rd in Gdańsk, Poland at Stocznia Gdańska.
- Rob Halford said, “The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is essentially supported with heavy metal maniacs voting for (Judas) Priest from all around the world.”
- The 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, Eurythmics, Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, and Eminem. This year’s Musical Excellence Award will go to Judas Priest along with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.
- Early Influence Awards will go to Harry Belafonte and Elizabeth Cotten, with Ahmet Ertegun Awards going to recording engineer, producer, and executive Jimmy Iovine, R&B singer and Sugar Hill Records founder Sylvia Robinson, and attorney, Allen Grubman.
- The 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held on November 5th at L.A.’s Microsoft Theater and air at a later date on HBO and stream on HBO Max.
Out now is the Judas Priest – 50 Heavy Metal Years Of Music box set, which includes every official live and studio album to date, plus 13 unreleased discs.
The ‘Judas Priest – 50 Heavy Metal Years Of Music’ box set includes:
- CDs housed in mini-LP Japanese-style wallets.
- Box set designed by long-time Judas Priest collaborator Mark Wilkinson.
- Includes Ross Halfin photos signed by each band member: Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton, Ian Hill, Richie Faulkner, Scott Travis.
- Numbered British Steel metal razor blade (blunt)
- Memorabilia book featuring rare photos, posters, adverts and passes.
- Replica British Steel tour program.
- Two replica tour posters from:
- British Steel 1980 German Tour.
- Defenders Of The Faith 1984 European Tour.