Out today (April 24th) is America‘s latest vault collection, Heritage II: Demos/Alternate Takes 1971-1976. The set is a followup to 2017’s critically acclaimed package Heritage: Home Recordings/Demos 1970-1973. The 13-track set features alternate versions of such America favorites as “Tin Man,” “Simple Life,” and “Amber Cascades,” among others.
Newly discovered is a previously unreleased 13-minute acoustic instrumental jam by the band — Gerry Beckley, Dewey Bunnell, and the late-Dan Peek — called “Jameroony.”
Dewey Bunnell recalled to us America’s early pre-fame High School days when the group was living overseas: [“We were at a U.S. Air Force base in England — that’s where we met. And we had these kind of similar interests in the music world, and we knocked around London and saw all these great acts of the late-’60s and stuff going on there; the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park. It was just an exciting time.”] SOUNDCUE (:15 OC: . . . an exciting time)
Bunnell told us that above all else, America’s harmonies remain their ultimate stock in trade: [“We’ve always said, it doesn’t matter what we’re singing or recording, generally once Gerry and my vocal blend is on there with the harmonies and so on, that’s kind of what we are. Maybe that’s truth with everybody, ’cause everybody’s voice is so unique, a blend is double unique.”] SOUNDCUE (:14 OC: . . . is double unique)
The tracklisting to Heritage II: Demos/Alternate Takes 1971-1976 is:
“Cornwall Blank” (Demo Version)
“Jameroony” (Acoustic Version)
“Mandy” (Demo Version)
“Tin Man” (Backing Track With Backing Vocals)
“What Does It Matter” (Demo Version)
“You” (Vocals/Strings Excerpt)
“Mad Dog” (Demo Version)
“Simple Life” (Alternate Mix)
“Lovely Night” (Demo Version)
“Today’s The Day” (Alternate Mix)
“Amber Cascades” (Acoustic Version)
“Letter” (Alternate Mix)
“Jet Boy Blue” (Alternate Mix)
- America North American tour dates (subject to change):
June 28 – Derry, NH – Tupelo Music Hall
July 23 – Chattanooga, TN – Tilovi Theatre
July 25 – Lakeside, OH – Lakeside Chautauqua Series
July 29 – St. Charles, MO – The Family Arena (with The Beach Boys)
- Out today (April 24th) is America‘s latest vault collection, the 13-track Heritage II: Demos/Alternate Takes 1971-1976.
- The set is a followup to 2017’s critically acclaimed package Heritage: Home Recordings/Demos 1970-1973.
- In 2015, America re-issued its classic early albums in a new box set, called America – The Warner Bros. Years 1971 -1977. Included in the set are the band’s groundbreaking sets America (1971), Homecoming (1972), Hat Trick (1973), Holiday (1974), Hearts (1975), Hideaway (1976), Harbor (1977), and America Live (1977).
- The albums, which have all been digitally remastered, are housed in clamshell box with each collection in a CD wallet that replicates all of the original album art and inserts.
- The set features all of America’s biggest ‘70s hits, including “Horse With No Name,” “Sister Golden Hair,” “I Need You,” “Ventura Highway,” Lonely People,” and “Tin Man,” among many others.