Ringo Starr has just announced 20 North American All Starr Band dates for the spring of 2020. The current edition of the All Starr Band lineup features such veteran All Starr’s as Toto‘s Steve Lukather, Men At Work‘s Colin Hay, Santana and Journey co-founder Gregg Rolie, along with percussionist Warren Ham, drummer Gregg Bissonette, and Hamish Stuart from the Average White Band — and a longtime Paul McCartney sideman.
Ringo and the band kick things off over two nights — May 29th and 30th — at Rama, Ontario’s Casino Rama, with shows stretched through June 28th when the trek wraps at Clearwater, Florida’s Ruth Eckerd Hall. The Avett Brothers and former-All Starr Edgar Winter will each open a pair of shows for Ringo over the course of the leg.
Over 30 years since launching the first All Starr Band tour, Ringo Starr told us that the format of the show remains an unbeatable proposition: [“Y’know, and if you look at those clips, and the bands I put together, there was an incredible array of musicians. Y’know, it’s just. . . for me, it works as a great formula. I didn’t wanna. . . when I thought about this in ’89, I didn’t want to be, like, up front all night. I wanted to play with really good players; I wanted to be able to come down in front and do some numbers like I do, and to play on the (drum) kit. And while I’m playing, I’ve got, y’know, all these different people, so it’s really a great way for me to do it, to have fun.”] SOUNDCUE (:31 OC: . . . to have fun)
JUST ANNOUNCED: Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band tour dates (subject to change):
May 29, 30 – Rama, ON – Casino Rama
June 2, 3, 5 – New York, NY – Beacon Theater
June 9 – Center Bangor, ME – Cross Insurance
June 10 – Boston, MA – Boch Center Wang Theatre (with The Avett Brothers)
June 11 – Gilford, NH – Bank of NH Pavilion (with The Avett Brothers)
June 13 – Providence, RI – Providence Performing Arts Center
June 14 – Asbury Park, NJ – Paramount Theatre
June 16, 17 – Baltimore, MD – Modell Lyric Theatre
June 19 – Lenox, MA – Tanglewood
June 20 – Pittsburgh, PA – PPG Paints Arena
June 21 – Philadelphia, PA – Metropolitan Opera House
June 23, 24 – Atlanta, GA – Cobb Energy Centre
June 26 – St Augustine, FL – St Augustine Amphitheatre (with Edgar Winter)
June 27 – Hollywood, FL – Hard Rock Casino
June 28 – Clearwater, FL – Ruth Eckerd Hall (with Edgar Winter)
SOURCE: Press release
- Ringo Starr has just announced 20 North American All Starr Band dates for the spring of 2020.
- Ringo and the band kick things off over two nights — May 29th and 30th — at Rama, Ontario’s Casino Rama, with shows stretched through June 28th when the trek wraps at Clearwater, Florida’s Ruth Eckerd Hall.
- Ringo Starr‘s first All Starr Band toured in 1989, and featured Joe Walsh, Billy Preston, Nils Lofgren, Clarence Clemons, Dr. John, drummer Jim Keltner, and the Band‘s Levon Helm and Rick Danko.
- Out now is Ringo Starr‘s 20th solo studio album, titled What’s My Name — a tip of the hat to the Beatles drummer’s signature in-concert shout-out to the audience. The highlight of the new set features him and Paul McCartney teaming up on one of John Lennon‘s final songs, “Grow Old With Me,” which was originally released in 1984 in demo form on the posthumous Lennon album, Milk And Honey.
- Among the other high-profile musicians on What’s My Name are such friends and/or All Starr Band alumnus as Ringo’s brother-in-law Joe Walsh, Toto‘s Steve Lukather, Men At Work‘s Colin Hay — who wrote the album’s title track, the Eurythmics‘ Dave Stewart, Edgar Winter, Mr. Mister‘s Richard Page, Nathan East, and the Heartbreakers‘ Benmont Tench, among others.
- The album also features a cover of Barrett Strong‘s early-Motown classic “Money (That’s What I Want),” which the Beatles recorded back in 1963.