Former Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler was hospitalized last Thursday (June 27th) after stabbing himself in what a representative later said was an accident.
Adler was taken to the hospital after local authorities responded to a call shortly after 6:30 p.m. for a possible suicide attempt at a Studio City, California, home.
But Adler’s representative told TMZ that the stabbing was not a suicide attempt and was simply an accident. The rep would not specify what caused the accident except to describe it as a “very minor, superficial wound.”
Guns guitarist Slash, who remained close with Adler over the years and even once staged an intervention for him, told us a while back that Adler was sort of a kid at heart: [“Steven is the epitome of, like, the rock ‘n’ roll teenager. He’s like, you know, the most naive and most innocent of the bunch of us because he was just like, ‘I just want to play drums and f*** girls,’ and that’s all he really, really wanted to do. The more complicated it got, the more he couldn’t handle it.”] SOUNDCUE (:15 OC: . . . couldn’t handle it.)
Adler, who has reportedly been sober for years, is still planning to perform on July 12th at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.
Story source: TMZ
- Ex-Guns N’ Roses drummer Steven Adler was rushed to the hospital after stabbing himself in his home.
- A rep for Adler said that the stabbing was accidental and that Adler’s injury was minor.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Adler was the drummer for Guns N’ Roses from 1985 to 1990, appearing on the band’s classic 1987 debut Appetite For Destruction.
- He was eventually fired from the band due to his drug addiction, which caused him to spiral down into depression and more drug use until he got sober in recent years.
- When Guns N’ Roses members Slash, Axl Rose and Duff McKagan reunited in 2016, Adler was not asked to join the reunion but did make several guest appearances with the group at various tour stops.