The awards were spread out pretty evenly at last night’s “CMT Music Awards”. The only two-buckle winner was CARRIE UNDERWOOD. Her song “Smoke Break” won Best Female Video and CMT Performance of the Year.
TIM MCGRAW took home Video of the Year for “Humble And Kind” . . . and BLAKE SHELTON won the first-ever CMT Social Media Superstar of the Year.
ERIN ANDREWS and NFL star J.J. WATT co-hosted for the first time. To ease them in, the show opened with a video of them as bosses at the CMT offices, while tons of stars acted as their employees, or begged them to be on the show. (Here’s that.)
This year’s overriding theme was “superstar collaborations” . . .. Keith Urban, Maren Morris, and Brett Eldredge performing “Wasted Time” was good. Billy Ray Cyrus and Cheap Trick together was interesting.
Carrie Underwood kept her streak alive of never disappointing with an awards show performance. She lifted the house while singing “Church Bells”. And thank you JASON ALDEAN for keeping it country.
Blake Shelton and the OAK RIDGE BOYS did a mashup of “Doin’ It To Country Songs” and “Elvira” . .
Here’s the WINNERS:
• Video of the Year: “Humble And Kind”, Tim McGraw
• Male Video of the Year: “Die A Happy Man”, Thomas Rhett
• Female Video of the Year: “Smoke Break”, Carrie Underwood
• Group / Duo Video of the Year: “Girl Crush”, Little Big Town
• CMT Performance of the Year: “Smoke Break“ . . . Carrie Underwood (from CMT Instant Jam)
• Breakthrough Video of the Year: “Fire Away”, Chris Stapleton
• CMT Social Superstar of the Year: Blake Shelton