Teacher of the Month for January 2019 – Mrs. Danielle Hoffer, Kindergarten Teacher at Myers Elementary School, Bellwood
Teacher of the Month for January 2019
Mrs. Danielle Hoffer, Kindergarten Teacher at Myers Elementary School, Bellwood
WALY 103.9 Radio Personality, Bill Kurtis, Eva Strang of The Allied Milk Producers, Kindergarten Student Ben, Teacher Mrs.Danielle Hoffer, Pennsylvania Alternate Dairy Princess, Kara Stultz and “Freddie” – The Dairy Cow!
If you’re trying to get some weight off in the new year, here are some not-too-grueling activities that can burn 200 calories in under an hour . . .
1. Going for a leisurely walk. It burns 204 calories an hour, on average.
2. Bowling. Tossing that ball over and over again will burn 219 calories in an hour.
3. A casual bike ride. Even if you keep it under 10 miles an hour, you’ll burn 292 calories in 60 minutes.
4. Golfing. If you carry your clubs, you’ll burn 314 calories an hour.
5. Casual downhill skiing or snowboarding. Also, 314 calories an hour.
6. Ice skating. A whopping 511 calories an hour.
WALY 103.9 80’S PROM
THE NEXT WALY 103.9 TOTALLY AWESOME 80’S PROM IS FRIDAY MARCH 29TH AT THE JAFFA SHRINE, SPONSORED BY ROLL’S MEAT MARKET!!! TICKETS ARE $14 AND GO ON SALE JANUARY 4TH AT UNKLE JOE’S WOODSHED IN THE PLEASANT VALLEY SHOPPING CENTER. GOTTA BE 21 OR OLDER. SLIP ON YOUR JELLIES OR YOUR VANS AND DANCE ALL NIGHT LONG TO ALL YOUR FAVORITE 80’S TUNES!! DOORS OPEN AT 6, DANCING 7-11.
You hear the same Christmas songs every year . . . OVER and OVER again. But you might not know some of the stories behind them. Here are 10 facts about your favorite Christmas songs . . .
1. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” was written in 15 minutes, and Mariah Carey recorded it in August. Also, Faith Hill’s“Where Are You Christmas” was written by Mariah, who was going to record it. But her ex-husband Tommy Mottola gave it to Faith instead.
2. When Brenda Lee recorded “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” in 1958, she was only 13 years old.
3. “Jingle Bells” is over 150 years old. It was published in 1857 . . . and was intended to be a THANKSGIVING song, not a Christmas song.
4. Thurl Ravenscroft sang “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” . . . and was also the voice of Tony the Tiger for over 50 years.
5. Irving Berlin wrote the song, “White Christmas” . . . and hated Elvis Presley’s version so much, he tried to get it BANNED from the radio.
6. “Silver Bells” was originally called “Tinkle Bell”. The writer changed it after his wife mentioned the double-meaning of the word “tinkle.”
7. “The Chipmunk Song” is still the only Christmas song to ever hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
8. “Do You Hear What I Hear?” was written as a call for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962.
9. Eartha Kitt did a follow-up to “Santa Baby” the following year called “This Year’s Santa Baby“. It was the same song with different lyrics, and it flopped big time.
A new study found women sleep better when they’re sharing their bed with a DOG than with another person . . . or with a cat. Looks like it’s time to make some changes to your sleeping arrangements. Your significant other? Demoted to the couch. Your dog? Promoted to the little spoon. We’ve got the results here of a new study out of Canisius College in New York. And they found that women sleep BETTER when they’re sharing their bed with their DOG than they do when they share it with another person. The researchers found that women who shared their bed with dogs went to bed earlier, kept a better sleep schedule, AND got disturbed and woken up less often during the night. They didn’t study whether men sleep better with dogs or other people. But they DID find one other detail: Sleeping in bed with a CAT does NOT have the same effect. Women who had a cat in bed got worse sleep than women who had a dog or a person with them.
Originally posted on November 28th, 2018
Texting is better than talking to people. I talk for a living and I can say that. But texting ISN’T perfect . . . mainly because everyone is so bad at it. A new survey found the five most annoying things people do when they’re texting. And they are: Vanishing in the middle of a conversation . . . being sarcastic . . . using bad grammar . . . using too many acronyms and emojis . . . and sending multiple messages when one would get the job done.
We heard last week that Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people should only cost $48.90 this year. Less than $5 per person, according to the American Farm Bureau’s annual study.
If that sounds unrealistic, here are five tips to help you save a few bucks this year . . .
1. Don’t get fancy. Thanksgiving foods only get expensive when you add things like nuts and bacon to make them more “gourmet.” But most people don’t even want a gourmet Thanksgiving. They want the classics. So save money and keep it simple.
2. You don’t HAVE to make a whole turkey. If you’re having a smaller dinner with four or five people, you might only need to buy a turkey breast and a couple legs. Or go with a roast chicken instead of a whole turkey.
3. Don’t aim for a ton of leftovers. Scale down and buy just enough food for one dinner, with maybe a little bit left over for the next day. Fans of leftovers will hate that idea, but it’ll cut down on costs.
4. Make it a potluck. Have everyone bring something. Or if you’re doing dinner, ask them to bring some wine, or make the dessert.’
5. Check the back of your cupboards before you go shopping. Things like cranberry sauce and green beans have a long shelf life. And you might already have an extra can or two from last year that you forgot about.
Join Bill Kurtis and WALY-Walrus for WALY 103.9 Live On Location at T.J. Maxx in the Walmart Plaza in Altoona THIS SATURDAY! STOP BY between Noon and 2:00 PM and get some of the best holiday deals around. AND WHAT A SELECTION AT T.J. MAXX!!!
Be sure to bring the kids and the grandkids to MEET WALY-Walrus between Noon and 2:00 PM at T.J. Maxx! Don’t forget to bring the camera or camera phone for a GREAT PHOTO with WALY-Walrus!